Plastic is so ubiquitous in society now- so much so that we don't even realise how much we do use it in our everyday life. And a huge part of our day to day plastic usage comes from, you guessed it... plastic bags! According to planetgreen.com, 'each year, approximately 500 billion to 1 trillion plastic bags are consumed worldwide'. That’s over one million bags per minute! They say it can take anywhere between 400-1000 years for one plastic bag to decompose but here's the thing- no one knows just how long it takes as they have been around for less than 50! Read below if you need further proof to start swapping your plastic bags for something fun, funky and food safe like the Planetwise Snack Stuff Window Bags! At only $8 each they are so much more economical than a roll of plastic wrap (and look prettier too)! Find them in our shop in the reuseable section or click on the link http://booloo-babe.businesscatalyst.com/other-products/planetwise-snack-stuff-window-bags
Our friends at Naturally Sustainable (where we get our fabulous Earthlust bottles!) have just shared this little food for thought and we wanted to share it with you too.
Below are 5 great reasons why everybody needs to move away from plastic wrap and bags and use eco-friendly reusable food packing.
- Plastic food wraps, bags and containers not only have a number of negative effectson human health but also on our environment.
- Some common food cling wraps are made from polyvinylchloride (PVC), which is not only very environmentally toxic, it’s also laced with phthalates (a chemical used to soften this #3 plastic).
- Bisphenol A (BPA) & Phthalates can also be found in several types of plastic food containers and storage bags, and by storing your food in these plastics you are increasing the possibility that you absorb these harmful chemicals. BPA and phthalates leached through plastics act as an endocrine disruptor and have been found to increase the risks of obesity, neurological problems, thyroid function problems, breast cancer and reproductive development.
- One time use film plastics like bags and cling wraps are an environmental hazard, as they pollute landscapes and oceans where they pose choking, suffocating, intestinal blockage threats to wildlife.
- Your common everyday plastic wrap and zip locks bags are not only non-recyclablebut non-renewable, but will live in our landfills for 1000 years. Considering how much plastic wrap and bags most people use, that is a lot of unnecessary waste going directly to landfill, polluting our air with carcinogenic toxins.
Tomorrow (Tuesday 13th December) is twenty dollar Tuesday on Booloo babe's Facebook page (www.facebook.com/booloobabe). To encourage our friends to use less plastic, we are including a Furoshiki Japanese style ECO bag. These are fully lined, double sided, machine washable and sewn from fair trade textiles. Great for either packing food at home or when you just need a funky bag! You will love the Furoshiki Lunch Wrap as it is non-toxic, plastic free, BPA free, waste free...the list goes on!
Let us know what you think or how you go about packing a plastic free lunch for you or your children's lunches- we'd love to hear your ideas!